Monday, September 2, 2013

Marjoram tea

   Moving to the US was a little gastronomic shock. My stomach was used to the Greek diet and had a slight difficulty adjusting to the American food plethora. In addition, I must admit that I have a certain yearning for junk food, and although it can satisfy my spirit, my stomach does not always agree.
   It was one night enjoying pizza at my place in Moscow, Idaho, when a friend asked me to make some oregano tea after the meal. According to the tradition in his country, Ecuador, oregano tea was a remedy for the hurting stomach. My experience had taught me that boiling oregano produces a bitter tea, which is definitely not very pleasant to drink. Instead I prepared a remedy from my Greek tradition, marjoram tea, which is certainly more gratifying.
   Little research revealed that both oregano and marjoram are in the same plant plant genus, the Origanum. Thus they exhibit similar healing features. But, it is marjoram tea that has a sweeter taste.




When you have a hurting stomach, do not worry. Just make some marjoram tea and enjoy its many benefits. In order to make marjoram tea you will need:
1Tsp of marjoram leaves, dried or fresh
1 cup water
1 tsp honey

Bring the water to a boil. When it is hot, add the marjoram leaves and turn off the heat. Let the leaves steep for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how strong you want the tea.
Pour into cup and dissolve the honey.
Enjoy it after meal with friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment