Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The bursting Imam impact

A classmate in my PR class once asked me what is it like in Greece. I always took pride in answering this particular question with praising our great civilization, the warm climate, the amazing beaches along the coastline and the breathtaking scenery of the countryside. However, the girl wanted to know more and she asked me: "Do you have any McDonalds over there?"

I found the question so ridiculous that I mastered all the sarcasm I could fit in one simple reply.
"Oh yes my dear, we do. It is perfectly safe to visit Greece!"  
Aubergines Imam Baildi (photo retrieved from www.argiro.com.gr)

After putting myself in the poor girl's shoes, I realized that maybe she was not worth all that cynicism. I started wondering what my behavior would be if I was visiting a foreign country. I started imagining the case of visiting Turkey and coming across a dish called Imam Baildi. I look it up in the dictionnairy and I realize that the name stands for The Bursting Imam! The first thought that would emerge would probably be that if this dish caused a royalty's insides to burst, what would it do to my humble stomach? Judging by the name only, the chances of ordering it are minimal. On the other hand, the chances of searching for the closest pizza place would be considerably high. However, if I am bold enough to try such a dish, I would be surprised to realize that Imam Baildi is nothing more than an ordinary eggplant stuffed with earthy vegetables in tomato sauce. Legend has it that an Imam was so content with eating this particular dish that he could not take it any more, hence the bursting. Aubergine, vegetables and tomato sauce is a very common combination of ingredients in the Mediterranean Basin, so eating Imam Baildi would not be much different than eating Ratatouille for example, a popular dish in French cuisine. 

Thanks to my job as a park researcher, I had the chance to visit a considerable number and variety of recreational sites in America, from the humblest camping site to the vastly crowded Mount Rushmore in South Dakota. With research emphasis on visitor services, I was able to observe tourist behavior, considering food choices, as well as how site managers cater for visitors. The pattern was almost unanimous, as restaurants were serving the same food in every location, regardless of the place, the local tradition and the micro-environment. Burgers, hot dogs and pizza were the most popular choices of tourists. 

Mount Rushmore National Memorial
All my observations lead to more questions. Why do restauraneurs in tourist places maintain such unanimity considering their menus? Is it for being cost effective or because tourists ask for it? If tourists actually search for the same types of food in every place they visit, is it because they are affraid to try local cuisine?

The fear of food poisoning or other health issues is always a deciding factor in consuming unknown food. From an anatomic standpoint, the stomach is one of the toughest muscles in the human body, but at the same time one of the most sensitive. Just consider how irritant a stomach ache can be to understand why avoiding unfamiliar food seems like a safe plan while visiting a foreign land. Thus, fear plays an important role in choosing alimentation. A weird sounding name, a bizarre looking shape and the erratic image it creates in the brain, or a fowl taste can discourage people from trying unfamiliar food.

How unfortunate can that be, as the most delicious little secrets in every culture are hidden in bizzare foods! 

Black ivory coffee, for example, is considered the most expensive and exquisite brand of coffee, with a market value of more than 1,000 USD. Although it sounds like an exotic luxury item, would you dare to take a sip knowing that its beans are harvested out of elephant feces? Alternatively, the idea of swallowing the tequila worm might sound appetizing in the wooziness of consuming the whole tequila bottle, but would you eat it in perfect sobriety?  Locals in Mexico City and the surrounding areas though consider escamoles, the little white agave-dueling worms, a succulent delicacy, dating back to the Aztecs. Those bold ones who have tried it are pleasantly surprised by its buttery taste and its crumbly texture. And the list goes on with cases of peculiar food that tastes extraordinary.  
Despina and Panagiotis on their vaccation in Crete

It is said that one way to understand a foreign culture is to taste its cuisine. The optimal way to achieve this is to follow a local guide. My good friends Despina and Panagiotis, who recently visited me in Crete, stated "no one can unveil the delectable secrets of a culture's gastronomy better than a local"! And it is true. Without the proper intelligence even considering to try bizzare, but delicious foods might not be an option. If there is a dish that does not please the eye, but is worth tasting, only an erudite culture insider can point you to the right direction. Afterall, my experience has taught me that the most delicious secrets are well hidden in the oddest looking courses. Thus, no matter how secure you feel about that pizza slice, just keep in mind that the Imam only bursted out of satisfaction for a proudly served gem of his culture! 

No comments:

Post a Comment