Sunday, October 12, 2014

Hey baklava girl... are you ready to marry?

The morning walk to Moscow Farmers' Market that Saturday had a surprise in store for me. I was showing my visiting parents the place that was hosting my new student adventures, when I heard an unfamiliar voice greeting me enthusiastically.

"Hey, I know you!" cheered a middle aged typical American male figure.

"I know you..." he continued. "You are the baklava girl!"

The Greek exhibition at the fair
As I explained to my parents this polite, but still strange man, was merely one of the many visitors of the booth representing Greece, I was holding in the International Students' Fair every year. The Fair was celbrating diversity among the world cultures and as a genuine Greek hostess I was treating my guests with a sweet bite of baklava. 

My guest's fervent greeting indicated two facts. First, my pastry cooking made a lasting impression on my booth vistors. Second, not only my cooking made me recognizable, but I had a nickname in the little town of Moscow, Idaho: the baklava girl
Baklava rolls (photo by Aditya Abburi)

The first question that might come to mind is how can a Greek girl, like me, be associated with a dessert that is Turkish, or at least Middle-Eastern. The truth is that the origin of baklava has been an issue of dispute among many countries in the areas around Greece. This sweet delicacy has been yet another reason for disagreement between Greeks and Turks. Who invented it first and who prepares it better? Both sides trace its roots in ancient desserts, like the Greek plakous, a pie with nuts and honey, or the treat from the Mongolian tradition, güllac. While one and the other historians have reasons to argue, they are probably engaging in a vain debate, as the  combination of dough, nuts and sweetening agent is one of the oldest recipes all around the globe.
Turkish version of baklava with pistachios
(photo retrieved from http://www.athinorama.gr)

The Turkish version of baklava is green. Thinly rolled phyllo dough wrapping a healthy serving of chopped pistachios, plunged in a sugar based ambrosial syrup create a divine dessert that has become the culinary symbol of Turkey. Thus, it was only fair that the Gaziantep baklava, named after the town that produces it, gained a protected status by the European Union, a title awarded only to a few products outside the official European boarders. 
Diamond-shaped baklava
(photo retrieved from http://ntrimy-oisydagesthsgiagias.blogspot.gr)

On the other side, Greeks choose the earthy colors of walnuts in combination with almonds for their baklava. On my island Lesvos, in particular, baklava is prepared on special occasions using only blanched almonds. One of those occasions is no other than the engagement. According to tradition, the bride has to prepare a big tray of baklava in order to please the groom's mother. Only if the mother in law is content with the result can she approve the wedding.



The cooking of baklava is a highly technical preparation, in which timing and choice of ingedients are crucial. The dough has to be paper thin, the almonds blanched and chopped correctly, the oil chosen among the finest qualities, the spices strong enough to flavor the dessert but not overpowering it and the syrup added at the perfect time to sweeten the dough, but still keep it crispy. The girl who manages to produce a perfectly balanced baklava can be consided ready to perform flawlesly in the kitchen and cater for her new household. If this tradition contradicts the fundamental premises of feminism, keep in mind that deep down Greek society is matriarchal. Thus, it is not just the future of a bride that is hidden between the layers of a diamond-shaped piece of baklava, but her ability to rule the family as well.

My skills regarding the preparation of baklava definitely made an impression on Moscow town dwellers. If I were a chef, I would probably claim that to be my signature dish. Whether my culinary aptitude on this matter proclaim me ready to enter the kingdom of mariage ... or not, will not be debated in this article. For the moment I will keep treating friends and visitors with the delight of a piece of baklava.      



 

No comments:

Post a Comment